20100703

An Adaptation of Blueberry Yogurt Fool

Original Source: Body + Soul Magazine, August 2007, Number 19, Page 100 Jody Adams
Described as an "old-fashioned English Dessert" changed into a smoothie

Serves: 2+
Ingredients:
  • 1.5 pints blueberries (frozen is best - if not frozen add a few ice cubes) [mine were hand picked by me]
  • 1-2 tbsp local honey
  • Juice of .5 limes
  • 5 fresh mint leaves plus a sprig for each glass as a garnish [freshly picked from our garden]
  • 1 cup thick fat free greek-style yogurt (since this is a smoothie any style yogurt will work) [home made thanks to my Yogotherm with Chobani as my starter]
(Among some of the changes I omitted from original - pistachios and heavy cream so my version has considerably less calories than the original)

Stick it all in your Vitamix, start on low turn up the speed until high - just until everything is blended evenly - feel sides - if not cool add a few ice cubes and turn off.

Split amongst 2-3 glasses and add garnish.

Yum!
I love blueberries
I love mint
I love lime
I love homemade fat free yogurt

Ok ok - so I should have taken the picture before I drank the smoothie :)

I've been trying to think of a good way to keep track of recipes I use.  I was thinking about just putting them in Evernote, (coolest organizing tool ever - I have the professional version -but you can get it free and there are add-ons for most browsers) but I use that to list recipes I've used and intend to use.  I suppose I could tag them differently, but I usually share the recipes I like - So I think I'm just going to blog about them.  I started with a minor amount of Googling and liked the below info I found on The Food Blog Alliance.
The rules that most cookbook authors and food writers follow are these:
1. If you're modifying someone else's recipe, it should be called "adapted from".
2. If you change a recipe substantially, you may be able to call it your own. But if it's somewhat similar to a publisher recipe, you should say it's "inspired by", which means that you used else's recipe for inspiration, but changed it substantially.
3. If you change three ingredients, you can in most instances call the recipe yours. 
Recently I've had some pretty major dental work so I've just be eating mushy stuff.  I'm trying to keep it interesting since this is going to last a while.  I can't talk or show emotion so I'm using all that extra time to work on decluttering - inspired by one of my favorite blogs Unclutterer which I was turned on to by my wonderful brother-in-law, IHA.  My current project is getting rid of the stacks of magazines I have laying around.  Just for clarification, I have seen stacks of magazines and this is more of a kids side order size versus that of the main course.

How did I acquire all these magazines?  I have an amazing group of local and dear friends and we like to get together monthly.  We usually swap things when we get together.  The magazines I get are discards from the local library and from their personal subscriptions.  The magazines are intended to be rotated amongst our group and then passed on when we are done with them.  Some magazines only come to me last because I tend to be the slowest at circulating them but also one of the fastest to light up when I see the cover and all the goodness that are inside.  I scan through the magazines and read the crap and put little sticky notes on the things I want to come back to.  So yesterday and today - I'm dealing with all the little stickies and this month they will be passed on.  Except the Mary Jane's Farm magazines - those end with me.  Let's see if I can pass those on next month to either the group or someone else.  It is all about sharing knowledge and recycling!

3 comments:

  1. Huummm... Those must be very tiny kid size stacks because I can never find magazines to read in your house except in your bathroom, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe looks good! This is what I would change to make it mine. Instead of the blueberries, lemon/lime soda, instead of the yogurt, rum, and add more mint leaves! So that is my recipe inspired by yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was one stack in the bathroom and one next to my bed. This of course does not count the stacks of Spin-offs and Handwoven in the studio. The studio is entirely on third floor again :)btw.

    OMG - your second comment is exactly why you are the "blogger" in the family - lmao!

    ReplyDelete