20100726

Tour de Fleece Day 22

Day 22
July 24
4.5 hours spinning
3 hours clearing bobbins and preparing for plying
10 hours lack of internet and phone!

This is all the yarn I had spun up to Day 22 all waiting to be plied with the exception of the cotton that I plied yesterday.


So I've never used a nostepinne before today.  My guild's Fearless Leader, Alison, showed us a few weeks ago at guild social and with Youtube I somehow got caught up in it.  Do I own one - no.  But I was sitting there winding balls by hand when I knew I really wanted a center pull ball.  I have a ball winder but on the day Lance fell three times it went south on me.

So I was sitting there looking at a beautiful Tudor family made beeswax candle and I thought, "Hmmm, I bet that will work."  Sure enough it did.  Thanks Alison for showing us.  So that took a while and I guess it was what I needed to learn at the moment.  What I also know is that I know how to fix my ball winder when it acts up.  I've spent considerable time on the phone with the maker, Otto, a few years ago since I have an earlier version of the Strauch Jumbo ball winder.  Otto has been great - he has sent me parts to upgrade it when necessary and has walked me through all the tweaks.  I love tinkering and fixing things.  But today, I wanted a new skill.  I'm inspired by Galia (TDF teammate) and her homemade solutions.  Sure enough on Youtube there are several videos.  The second one I found was using a wooden spoon.  I like the candle very much and it may just end up in my fiber tool box.



Yesterday, I plied the thin spindle spun Spincerely dyed llama against some bulky natural colored llama and I love how it came out.  Very fun.  I had extra of the spindle spun so I andean plied the remainder.



Then I started to Navajo ply the Natchwoolie Blue Hawaii.  I would have finished but my husband's birthday is today and well I don't eat most cake.  He had several friends over yesterday so I got a brain storm to run out and buy him an icecream cake that he could share and it was such a hot day.



Saturday's progress


In the evening when watching the end of the second season of *True Blood* I did some cotton spinning on my Tahkli.  I don't normally ply and do anything else so I can focus on my counting and not get distracted.  Plus I normally let my singles relax for months if not years (see future posts soon as I have boxes of singles to ply . . . )  so I knew that it would need my full attention.

Then, hmph, no internet to post.

Go Team Phat!

No comments:

Post a Comment